Sunday, February 7, 2010

Four-Corner Storm







That is the name....and these are some new pics of the piece that I finally finished. I have been working on this one for a few weeks now...well perhaps I can not really use the term "working", rather the fabric has been sitting around for a few weeks now, and after a trip to Blick on Thursday and a new supply of white paint, I decided to get out of my little rut and put everything together. So far, this mixed-media work contains canvas, white and black acrylic paint, and thick, cotton string. I really must say that I am pleased with the way it came out, because unlike other things that I have tried to complete in the past, this was completely free of any prior plans or sketches. I have learned over the years, that sketches are kind of pointless when it comes to most of my endeavors. For some reason I am the kind of person who feels the need to evaluate almost every option, and work towards some sort of unknown, eventual goal. Maybe that's why I have yet to develop any really solid career plans...hmmm. I am hoping now that I have stocked up on some supplies, that I will continue to create as much as possible within the next 2 months. I don't know why "2 months" seems like an appropriate amount of time, but hey, "it is what it is". Well, keep warm and be creative.






K.

3 comments:

  1. i feel the same way... i cannot plan or sketch, whenever i do nothing happens or everything falls apart. i've been journaling about this a lot and i found this quote by harold rosenberg: "the attempt to define is like a game in which you cannot possibly reach the goal from the starting point but can only close in on it by picking up each time from where the last play landed." ...hmm maybe i'll blog about this.

    i like the work you're doing too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff, Katie! I'm so excited to see how productive you are being! Talk to you soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niki- Thanks! Yes...I do enjoy that quote, you should definitly write a blog about it. The whole process of "figuring things out" is an art itself, and the idea that one things leads to another, which leads to another, and so on, definitly gives me hope.

    Ian- Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying the work, you should blog about your sketch writing too when it gets going...I am curious. Hope to talk to you sooon!!

    ReplyDelete